Thursday, May 6, 2010

Godspead



Last week my Step Grandfather, Joe Foster, passed away. He was 79 and had been suffering from Lou Gehrigs this last year. Joe married my grandmother when I was 15 and was very kind to me and my siblings. Joe considered my siblings and I his grandchildren, just like his own, and he and my grandmother came to all the major events in my life - (graduations, marriages, etc). I took the kids down for the services this week. Out of all the pictures I took this might be my favorite. Joe served in the Air Force (with my own grandfather) and was given full military honors at the service.

Joe was a true patriot. He flew in over 1,160 combat sorties during the Vietnam conflict. He received two Distinguished Flying Crosses, the Bronze Star, five Air Medals, and two Meritorious Service Medal.

If you look past Charlie you can see the soldiers during the 21 gun salute. It was very moving to see the young solider kneel before my grandmother and present her with the flag that hung on his casket.

I asked Charlie what the solider said to grandma and he said "that he was thankful for your husband fighting for our country and how brave he was." I hope that as Charlie gets older he will remember this and take with him the legacy that his great grandfather and step-great grandfather left for him.

No comments: