Friday, November 20, 2009

The Three Whale, A garbage dumpster and a 6 inch cockroach!

So Charlie had a test this week on a story called the Three Whales. I had printed off some study guides for him and he was ready for the test on Wednesday.

Wednesday night I was straitening up because the cleaning lady was coming on Thursday so when I cleaned out Charlie's backpack I saw what I assumed was the study guide from his class on the three whale story, along with all the other worksheets he didn't need I tossed it all into a big black garbage bag.

As a total side bar that comes up at the end of the story I had also gone around cleaning up the living room later on that night and I found this 6 inch plastic cockroach the kids had been playing with from an insect kit they had. Hating cockroaches and knowing the kids had been scaring their dad with it for a few days, I just tossed the cockroach into the big black garbage bag as well.

Well Thursday morning comes around and I had gathered two big bags of garbage and trying to save room in the can I asked John to take the bags to work and throw them in the dumpster (do you see where this story is going yet?). Thursday at dinner time Charlie comes to me and asks me where his Whale test is.

My response, "Did you get it back already?"

Charlie, "no, instead of putting it in the in basket I put it in my cubby and brought it home from school yesterday."

My thought "NOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Charlie "so mom, where is it because if I don't take it back to school I have to stay in from recess and take it again."

Mom "well Charlie, I didn't realize it was a test and I think I threw it away."

Charlie "can I look in the garbage?"

Mom -In my head "how do I explain this" to Charlie - "well I think it went to the garbage at Daddy's work"

At this point John walks in and we tell him what happens. He says no problem, I didn't put the bags in the dumpster yet. So I go out to his truck and there is nothing there. I came in to tell John and he said "oh yeah, Tim drove my truck and he emptied it first"

So we explain to Charlie as he is sobbing that we will go to the dumpster to see if we can find the bag. John did point out that he shouldn't be so upset at anyone - he is the one who didn't put the test where it belongs!

John being the great dad he is went to the dumpster and had to rouse 3 Dumpster divers as they call them out of the can. So by the time they are gone and he can get to it the bums have torn all the bags open and scattered everything in the dumpster and around the can on the ground. John climbs in and spends 2 hours going through the garbage with no luck. He said it was horrible because while he was in the can 4 or 5 bums came to try to look through it also and some guys from the business next door came over and found him looking in the can (although they laughed when they heard what he was looking for and offered to keep an eye out to make sure he wasn't mugged). While he didn't find the test what he did find in the dark as it fell on his hand was the horrible 6 inch plastic cockroach that once again came back to scare the pants off of him!

***we are still waiting to hear what the teacher says to do about the test!****

No comments: